Tuesday, January 28, 2014

What is this place?

My name is Matt, and this is the beginning of my blog. 

This blog will be about sports. This blog will not be a list of my favorite teams or regular recaps of big games. This blog will focus on the business of sports, the money behind the sports. 

I will discuss a lot of things that your typical sports fan probably doesn't consider.  Things like - How much does it cost to name a sports arena after a beer company? Do ticket sales really translate to big profits? Why do aging players continue to make huge sums of money even though their performance isn't what it used to be?

Professional sports is a huge industry that is responsible for nearly 3 million jobs in the United States alone. Individual franchises can be worth billions.

Since I'm American, and typically follow American sports, most of my entries will be focused on - but not limited to - American sports. I'll take a look at player contracts, TV deals, stadium construction, and large scale events like the quickly approaching 2014 Sochi Olympics.



No comments:

Post a Comment